Monday, April 6, 2020

What's The Teacher Been Up To??

Hello All!

Its Spring Break (!) and we are all getting comfy with our quarantine status I thought it would be fun to share some of the projects that I have been working on with you guys.

Many of you know that I have a strong infatuation with all things Folk Art and Fabric Arts related and I have been working a lot within these mediums during our break. (Ug-sorry about the pictures. I promise to get better shots once they are officially complete).

The first quilt we have been working on was a quilt that I started when I was eleven on vacation with my family. My Mom and Nana bought my cousin and me a pack of cross-stitch quilt blocks 6 blocks for each of us. I had complete one and a half of them on vacation that year and they sat in my closet ever since! I found them and finished the cross-stitching and started to piece together the quilt from there. Almost 20 years later and it is finally getting done!



The second project I did over break was embroidering my kiddos names into their Easter bags for egg hunting (we have planned to set one up at our house!).

G and I completed a handful of painting projects too. I made a name sign for the new baby. G painted an Easter color (yellow and white) abstract piece for an empty frame we had. We also used fingerprints and pen scribbling skills to make some close family members cards for the upcoming holiday and mailed those today.

Today I was working on a new quilt for Baby I today (well mostly finished at least). About five years ago I spent a summer working at a camp in Maine, Tripp Lake Camp. During my pre-camp travel, I drove by an outside antique swap meet and decided to check it out for a souvenir. I like to try to buy something from Goodwill or an Antique Store while vacationing rather than a tourist trap store-I find that it makes for an interesting story later. So, long story short I found these awesome six hand-stitched quilt blocks made from old clothes or feed bags or who knows what. I think I paid $15 for them or something. I LOVED them, and they have sat (again) in my closet for five years. I pulled those cuties out and all of the scrap fabric that I could find and started looking for an interesting design. I wanted it to be modern with an old-timey feel that did the original blocks justice. (Again sorry for the awful picture-it is hard to get up high enough to see everything!) I decided that this would be Baby I's quilt.



My husband and I started trying to make some masks for family members. That is so much more difficult that it seems. Especially, since it is impossible to find elastic. We are trying to get creative, but we are currently on the learning curve there...

Lastly, I found a huge canvas in the garage and G was feeling creative and wanted to draw so I gave him a pen to use on the canvas and he did a great job! Lots of circles...he is a fan of circular designs I suppose. I'm ordering some Elmer's glue (that I will tint with white or black paint) and outline all of his lines. Then I'm planning on watering down some bold acrylic colors and painting all of his negative spaces in his designs. I really have fun trying to come up with ways to elevate his awesome artworks into home artworks that we actually hang and keep up! I will post a picture once we get that big project done.

So, that is what I have been up to. I would love to hear about some of the creative things that you guys have been doing during this break too! Comment below if you like to share it with our community. Take some time and be creative-try new things and if it goes wrong just toss it and start over; we have the time!

Stay healthy and stay safe!

As always, have fun and be creative!


No comments:

Post a Comment